Friday, March 18, 2011

The Problem with Wizards of the Coast (Part 2)

Nothing is wrong with Wizards of the Coast!!

I have a little beef to pick with all the players out there who have nothing to do but complain and gripe about Wizards of the Coast.  This is not a hate post to all those people, but an post on how to go about venting their frustrations without sounding like babies while doing it.

I will showcase 3 parts on the following topics: 1. The bad, 2. The Good, and 3. My thoughts.

In the first installment I pointed out some of the extreme negativity towards DDI and Wizards of the Coast.  This article now goes over the benefits of being a member of DDI and how there is nothing wrong with the way the company is going about their business.

The Good

I personally think Wizards is doing a FANTASTIC job.  Everything I need is at my fingertips and will only get better as time moves on.  Hmmmm!  What do they have to offer?  There is the Character builder, the Compendium, Dungeon and Dragons magazines, the Monster builder and the great customer service (in my experience anyways).

The Character builder in itself is invaluable to gaming in general.  In this day and age everyone has access to the internet, and therefore access to the Character builder.  With this tool, it is simple to create, build, level, shop and add powers to your character.  Not only can you do all this, you can also print off character sheets, for the places where internet access is limited to non existent.


WotC also offers the Compendium, a database of resources to pretty much everything that has been published to date, from rules, to items.  I am sure it  takes a lot to get it updated constantly, with all the rule changes and all the tweaking.  I am sure WotC also spends a lot of time making sure everything on the compendium is working properly.  The Compendium has been such a godsend to me.  I reference anything I need during a gaming session.


dndinsider.com also offers two "magazines" of the online versions. Dungeon magazine offers a slew of information and fun for anyone (especially game masters).  This magazine offers tips, adventures, new monsters and much much more.  



Its sister magazine Dragon magazine offers information on character creation, tips on making your character more fun, options and powers and a variety of topics specifically geared towards the players.


Finally, there is the Monster Builder.  For anyone who likes to create monsters and come up with new templates, powers, concepts and to insert them into your campaigns.  Guess what? You don't have to have carry all three monster manuals around with you when you need them for your next gaming session. Now I heard the announcement that the Monster builder is being released online on the 22nd of March.  

Now all of this is good content. If you were to buy all this individually, it would be a LOT of money.  WotC offers different subscriptions based on your needs.  They offer the following three prices:
  1. for a one month subscription - 9.95$ (useless if you ask me)
  2. for a three month subscription - 23.85$ (7.95$/month, good bang for your buck to let you try it out)
  3. for a full year subscription - 71.40$ (5.95$/month)

How can people complain so much about paying so little out of their pockets every month.  A monthly subscription costs less than a package of cigarettes, a 6-pack of beer, a meal at McDonalds.  

Another strong point on WotC has (in my experience) been the customer service.  Some may disagree, but I did write them a few times and got answers back promptly, and courteously from one of the service reps.  I think they have fulfilled my needs for D&D information and support.

Wizards has so much to offer for so little every month and I still do not understand how some people can be so vicious towards them.  The next installment, I will give my own thoughts and opinions things WotC and the people that criticize them.

Do you agree that the full year subscription is worth its weight in gold?  Do you have a differing opinion?  Leave us a comment tell us how you feel.